Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Thought on Cain--(Genesis 4:1-15)

Was Cain as evil as we tend to make him out to be?  I know, I know...he killed his brother.  But I must admit, there have been times where the thought crossed my mind also.  Of course I would never follow through and those times were because he was being mean to me or wouldn't let me hang out with him (and of course  I was only 7).


But let's take a quick look at Cain.  He was the first born of God's first humans...no pressure there.  He had all the attention of both his earthly parents and heavenly Father...until Abel comes along.  He brings his offering to God first and then tag-along Abel copies his older brother and Abel does it better.  I'm sure there were some (or a lot) of jealous feelings.


Then look at the beginning of verse 8 after God talks to him (wow moment there--to speak directly to God!) about sin.  "And Cain told Abel his brother."  He went to talk to Abel about what God said.  How did that conversation go?


Then sometime later Cain killed Abel...


The one thing Cain was lacking...righteousness.


      12not as Cain, who was of the evil one and slew his brother And for what reason did he slay him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brother's were righteous.  ~1 John


Here we go again with human beings having a direct, audible, and physical contact with God.  And still letting sin take hold.  How much more must we protect and guard ourselves against sin!


In reading this passage I've had to ask myself, "What are my intentions?"  We are human, we are prone to wander as the song says.  But, no matter our intentions, we must always come back to God; because, as He was with Cain, God is always there seeking us out and looking for repentance so that we may experience His love in the fullest.


Brothers and sisters in Christ...please don't let your deeds be evil, but be full of righteousness that we may truly experience who and what God is together.


Goodnight and Godspeed

No comments:

Post a Comment